Irstea, The National Research Institute of Technology for Environnement and Agriculture employs 1,350 people, including 950 permanent members of staff and 240 PhD or post-doctoral students, on 9 sites in France. As a finalised research institute recognised in the field of inland waters, ecotechnology and territories, Irstrea has set itself three major scientific challenges driven by significant societal issues: environmental quality and the challenge of linking methods and technologies; the issue of water in spatial development and the challenge of multi-sector approaches; risk management and the challenge of viability.
The research topics for which Irstea will provide PhD funding in 2012 are as follows:
- Technological innovations for sustainable agriculture and the environment (INSPIRE)
- Structures, Processes, Flow, Energy (SPEE)
- Technology and procedures for water and waste (TED)
- Models, information systems and viable management of the environment (MOTIVE)
- Quality of aquatic systems and ecological regeneration (QUASARE)
- Biological and ecological responses to contamination of the aquatic environment: ecotoxicology and bioindication (BELCA)
- Hazards linked to the water cycle (ARCEAU)
- Risks associated with fast-moving gravitational phenomena, safety of hydraulic structures and vulnerability (RIVAGE)
- Management of water, its uses, services and their impacts (GEUSI)
- Information and display systems for integrated management of the environment (SYNERGIE)
- Land-based ecological systems: dynamics, vulnerability and engineering (SEDYVIN)
- Spatial Development and Multifunctional Agriculture (DTAM)
The PhD contracts offered by Irstea may be co-financed by a partner outside of Irstea (industrial partner, professional organisation, authority, research organisation, etc.). PhD students have fixed-term contracts with Irstea giving them standard social protection. The contract term is three years. Monthly salary (January 2012): €1,852.11 gross (€1,510.54 net). Applicants must have a Masters degree or equivalent qualification when the contract is signed.
The award procedure and the schedule are as follows:
- Applicants are asked to contact the subject supervisors listed. Application files can be downloaded from the Irstea website www.irstea.fr (March 2012). They can also be obtained from the Centre Director (or the PhD supervisor).
- Applications must be submitted to the appropriate subject supervisor by 20th May 2012.
- Successful applications will be selected by the Intake Committee, chaired by the Scientific Director, in June 2012.
- Applicants will be notified of decisions in July 2012.
- Contracts start, in principle, on 1st December 2012.
For further information: